Danielle Dietrich focuses her practice with Strassburger McKenna Gutnick & Gefsky in the areas of women and diverse-owned businesses, healthcare, elder law, and litigation throughout Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia.
Her work includes assisting women and diverse-owned businesses with obtaining and maintaining diversity certifications, such as Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) through the U.S. Department of Transportation, Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) and Women Business Enterprise (WBE)
Ms. Dietrich is well known for her work in healthcare law, representing medical providers including skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, personal care homes, and private medical practices. She assists these clients with a variety of issues, including Medical Assistance-Long Term Care advice and appeals, guardianships, disputes with agents under power of attorney, collections, and Orphan’s Court litigation. Ms. Dietrich also assists healthcare clients with drafting policies, Medicare and Medicaid audits and appeals, and HIPAA compliance issues.
Ms. Dietrich functions as “outside general counsel” for businesses not large enough to require their own full-time attorney, but still have a variety of legal needs. She assists with contract matters, intellectual property issues, collections, employment, and corporate governance and growth.
Ms. Dietrich has obtained favorable verdicts for her clients in federal and state bench and jury trials, arbitrations, as well as administrative and regulatory proceedings.
Ms. Dietrich residents in South Fayette with her husband and two daughters and is a college sports fan.
Experience and Representative Matters
Represented a Women-Owned Business in successfully appealing a denial of its application for DBE Certification through the PA-UCP certification program.
Appealed DBE denials to the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Representation of several large chains of skilled nursing facilities in recovering millions of dollars owed for care provided to their residents via Medical Assistance-Long Term Care (Medicaid) appeals and private collections.
Represents physicians and medical practices in responding to subpoenas for medical records.
Assists physicians and medical practices with opioid litigation support
Obtained a jury verdict in excess of $1,000,000 for a developer due to a decrease in the value of his development due to actions of the neighboring landowners.
Successfully obtained dismissal of over $400,000 in mechanic's liens on a commercial project.
General liability defense work for several large electric and telecommunications companies including, but not limited to Pennsylvania One-Call Act claims, accidents, construction claims and other tort litigation.
Representation of healthcare providers in defending against Medicare, Medicaid and insurance audits.
- April 2020, speaker, Women in Manufacturing, Western Pennsylvania Chapter, "Equipping Small Businesses to Navigate the Effects of COVID-19”
- April 2020, speaker, Omicelo Cares, "Equipping Small Businesses to Navigate the Effects of COVID-19”
- March 2020, speaker and author, Pennsylvania Health Law Institute, “Investigations and Litigation: How you respond can affect your livelihood, your bank account and your freedom."
- September 2019, speaker, PACAH (Pennsylvania Coalition of Affiliated Healthcare and Living Communities), “HR Compliance in an Opioid World.”
- March 2018, speaker, PACAH (Pennsylvania Coalition of Affiliated Healthcare and Living Communitie), Legal Issues for Long Term Care Business Office Managers: Everything from Admissions to Discharge and In-Between
- September 2017, speaker, PHCA (Pennsylvania Health Care Association), “Handling Substance Abuse and Addiction Issues Within Your Community.”
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Women in Law Division, past Chair
- Allegheny County Bar Association Board of Governors
- Allegheny County Bar Foundation
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- South Hills Interfaith Movement (SHIM) Board of Directors
- Pittsburgh Chapter of the Global Association for VR/AR (Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality), Advisory Board
- 360Access, Corporate Advisory Board
- December 2018, author, Allegheny County Medical Society Bulletin, “Opioid Update: New Federal Law and Physician Subpoenas for Records and Depositions.”
From Our Blog
- How Does a Person Prove LGBT Status for Purpose of Certification?
December 23, 2021
- CMS Issues Emergency Rule Requiring COVID-19 Vaccines for Healthcare Providers by January 4, 2022
November 4, 2021
- Contractor to Pay $188,879.59 to Settle Claims That Owner Falsified DBE Personal Net Worth Statement
November 2, 2021
- Can Your Ownership In Your Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Be Held in A Trust?
October 21, 2021
- What is a NAICS code and why is it important to your DBE/MBE/WBE certification?
October 5, 2021
- What happens during a site visit for a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) application?
August 5, 2021
- Painting Contractor to Pay $400,000.00 to Settle Violation of DBE Program Rules
July 14, 2021
- Pennsylvania Fuel Distributor to Pay $692,000.00 to Settle Violation of DBE Program Rules
June 14, 2021
- AEON Clinical Laboratories $25,000 Settlement for Potential HIPAA Security Rule Violations
May 26, 2021
- Using Joint Assets to Fund Your New Company? Make Sure Spouse Renounces Funds if You Wish to Obtain Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Certification
April 28, 2021
- Why Being a “Family Business” May Prevent Your Company From Obtaining Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Certification
April 9, 2021
- Ohio Highway Construction Company to Pay $315,252.93 to Settle Violation of DBE Program Rules
April 5, 2021
- Denied Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Certification? Make Sure You Receive an Explanation!
February 12, 2021
- Just Formed a Company? Learn When You Should Apply for DBE Certification
February 5, 2021
- Why Bylaws and Operating Agreements Matter in Your Application for Disadvantaged Enterprise (DBE) Certification
February 1, 2021
- Electrical Contractor to Pay $3.2 Million for DBE Fraud
January 21, 2021
- Government Lightens Enforcement of HIPAA Rules to Aid COVID-19 Vaccinations
January 20, 2021
- Excellus Health Pays $5.1 Million to Resolve HIPAA Breach Involving Over 9 Million People
January 19, 2021
- Denied Women’s Business Enterprise (WBE) Certification? How to Appeal a WBE Denial Through the Women’s Business Enterprise National Counsel
December 30, 2020
- When Your Disadvantaged Business Enterprise is No Longer Considered Economically Disadvantaged
November 13, 2020
- HIPAA Breach by Aetna Results in $1,000,000 Payment to Resolve
October 29, 2020
- How to Challenge Another Company’s DBE (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise) Certification
October 19, 2020
- Who is considered “disadvantaged” for purpose of a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) and Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) Certification? The answer may surprise you.
October 19, 2020
- Why Failing to File Your No-Change Affidavit Will Cause Your Business to Lose Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Certification
October 7, 2020
- Denied DBE Certification? Why it could be better to reapply than appeal.
September 30, 2020
- Premera Blue Cross’s $6.85 Million Settlement is the Second-Largest HIPAA Settlement to Date
September 28, 2020
- Orthopedic Clinic Pays $1.5 Million for HIPAA Breaches
September 22, 2020
- Options for Certification as a Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) or Economically Disadvantaged Women-Owned Small Business (EDWOSB) Under the New SBA Rules
July 29, 2020
- Applying for DBE Certification? Technical Competence is Required.
July 27, 2020
- What is the HUBZone Contracting Program?
July 17, 2020
- What Your Attorney Wants You to Know About the Certification Process
July 15, 2020
- How Your Business Can Get DBE Certification in Other States
June 29, 2020
- Recent Small Business Administration Ruling Agrees with Protest that Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business was Not Controlled by Service-Disabled Veteran
June 26, 2020
- Pivoting Your Business in the Age of COVID-19 – Changing Your DBE Certification to Reflect Your New Areas of Business
June 24, 2020
- Do Owners Have to Contribute Money to Their Company in Order to Get DBE Certification?
June 23, 2020
- New SBA Rules for Women-Owned Small Businesses and Economically Disadvantaged Women-Owned Small Business
June 17, 2020
- Know Your Rights: What To Do If Your Company’s Application For DBE Certification Is Denied.
June 15, 2020
- What is a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise? How Can My Company Become a DBE?
June 10, 2020